Delegation may suck (sometimes), but options are awesome!! This is true for several reasons:
- It gives people an opportunity to choose what they really want
- They feel they are in control
- You don’t get “stuck” doing things the same old way
- Ask them to explain exactly what they wanted
- Provide them with what we were willing to do
- Provide three options that we were willing to do and ask them for feedback
I chose #3. If I hadn’t, it would be pointless to be sharing the story right now — ha ha. The reason I picked #3 was that I did not think they knew exactly what they wanted/needed, and I did not know for sure what I would be willing to do. Providing options allowed us to understand each other and the situation better. Through discussing these options, we created a 4th option.
To be clear, the original three options were each different. This made the client prioritize what was important to them (e.g. did they want more time or to have a lower interest rate?). I did this on purpose because it forced them to make that decision. Thus, their feedback allowed me to understand their priorities.
The next time you are in a situation and you aren’t sure what to do, focus on the basics and provide options. This will help you discover what the needs truly are, make it a positive experience for the client, and determine the best way to deliver the results they want and need.
Make it a great day and contine to Lead the Interstates Way by providing options.